Okay dokey. About a week ago we went to the fertility doctor for our follow up. Originally, my husband and I had a little chat about what was shareable on my blog. Those views have since changed, with no provocation from me. So, thanks, honey. Being able to talk about it in plain terms is nice and cathartic. Since he doesn't mind anymore here's our 1-2-3 on our fertility 'stats' for anyone interested. A list will help keep me overly whiny, so we'll go with that. :)
a. Number of months we've been off BCP: 22
b. Time since we've "known" something was wrong: 9 months
c. My DH's sperm count: .3million/per mili (yes, point 3 million. As in 300,000)
d. A normal sperm count: 20million-90ish million/per mili. Can be higher, depending
e. Number of months we get to try taking Clomid to see if it helps: 4- plus another round after that if we see some improvement
f. Our "chances" of conceiving on our own: No doctor has estimated it, but from what I've been able to put together it's around 1-4% (Infertile people never ask this. Only the fertile-myrtles. I mean, I get it. It's nice to quantify. But I think once you're in the midst of it, you understand how variable and random things can be-- not that I mind this question. Just a funny observation.)
g. Price of an In-Vitro cycle (or two--apparently they sell in a sort of package deal) at our fertility clinic: $10,000- $13,000.
h. Amount of time it will take us to save up for an In-Vitro cycle: 3.5 years. That'll mean: no debt except our mortgage plus enough money to stay home for a few months, plus the cashola for the procedure. It's a long ways away, but being free and clear would be sooo nice if we had one (or two) little ones coming our way! Now all the posts about "budgets" makes way more sense, eh?
f. Number of times I've been "glad its him and not me": 0. Not that I wish it WERE me. It just doesn't change the results, and I would gladly take on the stress if it meant he didn't have to. He really is the most amazing and wonderful man. I'm so lucky to have him. And his .3 million sperm. ;)
Wow, that's a really cheap IVF cost - does that include meds??
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing that it's male factor in about 1/3 of the cases (female in 1/3, and unknown or both in a 1/3)... and so many ppl don't know that. It just sucks that it's hard to achieve your dream.
Going at it debt free would be amazing though!!
Does seem cheap, huh? That's the ballpark figure I got from a friend who had a (successful, yay!) IVF procedure at the same clinic. I'm too chicken to call and find out actual numbers. It'd seem too real. I think I'll wait til after we find out if the clomid worked. Like I said. Chicken.
Delete