I've been out of school now for a year and a half. I spent the four and a half years that it took to finish my degree dreaming about what it would be like to be done with school. After that long of working my buns off (school and working- both full time- is no walk in the park, let me tell you.) I figured my life would be feel so luxurious and relaxed and complete. And in someways it does feel that way. (Though every now and again when I'm watching t.v. or relaxing I get this vague sense that I should be writing a paper or something-haha!)
And in other ways my life now feels even more messy and chaotic and frustrating. Now that my life isn't so academically focused I have more time to create drama in my head. More time to feel sorry for myself.More time to compare my life with other people around me. Anyone else have this problem? Idle hands are... The whiny baby's playground??
Part of the problem is social networking. It is both amazing and the bane of my existence. I feel like I can't go one day without getting annoyed that other people have it better/easier than me. Right?! And I feel like I am constantly in the position of defending my priorities.
Obviously this is all in my head. Logically, I know that. Logically I know that no one thinks I'm crazy for doing what I do. Sure, for those who follow me on IG and FB are probably a little tired of seeing chicken updates and hearing about our getting out of debt and paying cash for an adoption. Logically I know that no one thinks we are stupid for doing what we're doing.
But its hard to remember that when you see other people doing all kinds of fun things. Things they want to do because their priorities are different.
And thats what it really boils down to. Different priorities.
And thats ok.
I (and you, if you're reading this and feeling the same way) need to stop comparing my behind-the-scenes footage with everyone elses' highlight reel. Right?!
I stood in one place today and made 12 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to freeze. Why? Because it will save money by not being tempted to eat out. It was probably the least glamorous thing I've done this week (jelly in your hair--anyone??). Then I went on facebook and saw everyone posting beautiful pictures of themselves with other beautiful people having a beautiful time. And it kind of sucked.
Different priorities. Different focus. Different life.
I have to remind myself that, by nature, Ryan and I are mostly homebodies. We're happy hanging out in our undies, because we dont have a/c, and watching ridiculous shows like TopShot on netflix.
And that HAS to be ok.
Is anyone else with me, or am I totally crazy?!
Oh my dear Cheyenne! I love you to pieces!! You are totally right, we all have different priorities and focus. We need to stop comparing ourselves to what everyone else has and focus on what the Lord has provided. Even though at this moment It may not be exactly what we want; we have to focus on what has be given to us and not what has been lost, taken, or withheld from us. He has a plan for us all!
ReplyDelete