Sunday, April 8, 2012

paperless, paperless.

Frugal + Green= PAPERLESS KITCHEN!!

And I'm pretty excited about it.

No paper napkins. No paper plates. And very, very few paper towels.

For all my small spills and clean up I use jersey rags that I cut up from a not-used top sheet. (We love jersey sheets for our bed but Ryan refuses to use the top sheet despite my begging and pleading. I love to be tucked in like an envelope. He vehemently disagrees. What are you gonna do??) I was cleaning out our linen closet and didn't have anything to do with the sheet so I spent about 20 minutes cutting it up into roughly paper towel sized pieces.

I grab them instead of paper towels, and have a "rag bag" on top of the washer that gets the dirties, and I throw the whole bag with whatever wash I'm doing. Then I just dump them in a basket when they're dry. I don't even sort or fold them. Easy, peasy, cheap, and green! Just the way I like it!

Full disclosure: I still use paper plates on random occasions like parties or bbqs. And I have 2 lingering rolls of paper towels because I just can't figure out a better way to heat my on-the-go breakfast burritos. I usually wrap them in a paper towel in the microwave. Any ideas there???

Sure, a paper towel seems like a small toll to take on the earth and the pocket book... but try envisioning throwing away the WHOLE PACKAGE of paper towels. Just 'cause you throw them away one at a time doesn't mean it doesn't add up. Parts of a whole.

Not that I judge anyone who uses paper towels. I get it. :) I'm just glad we have a system that works for us, now! The only thing I need is an idea for keeping the towels next to my sink where the towel roll used to sit. Hmmm

A whole post about my lack of trash. Congratulations for making it through that.

Next task: Go paperless on all my reoccuring bills ( I know- strange I haven't already done this...)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's an awesome idea. My hubby is the same about the top sheet and it drives me nuts. Nice to actually find a use for it!

    ReplyDelete