Friday, July 8, 2011

My Personal Brand of Crazy

OK, so almost anyone who knows me will tell you that I have a weee bit of OCD. 'Cept you, Mom. I think everyone knows it but you. It's okay, I know realizing your daughter is a bit nuts-o is hard to accept. ;)

Lately, it's been manifesting in strange ways... allow me to elaborate.

-Recycling. OMG! All of a sudden I am a little obsessed. Now, I'm concerned about the state of the environment/global warming/ whatever mumbo jumbo they're trying to sell these days. A little. Part of me thinks "Gosh, we really should be preserving things for our children and the generations to come" and part of me is like.. "Meh... whatever's convenient for me because I'm a little selfish like that." Until recently. Randomly I had this irrational fear of throwing plastic away. I've annoyed my coworkers for months now about pulling the trash bag up out of the trashcan and using it longer to reduce the number of bags we use. They probably hate me for it, but I can't resist! The idea that plastic will literally outlive me on this earth FREAKS me out. Not because I'm worried about the environment necessarily, I just don't like the idea of leaving a part of something I've used around even after my body's disintegrated. (This blog has taken a strrrannggee turn...) Weird, right? Which brings me to my next randomness...

-Cans. Ok, so Ryan and I got on this kick where we are trying to save money/ spend less. We've been a bit extravagant what with Hawaii, etc. So we decided it's time to buckle in for a little while. Eat out less, shop less, and try to tuck some away for when we have that lil bambino. As some of you may know, Ryan is in an *awesome* band. He mentioned once that he turns in cans and bottles and saves the deposit return for the "band fund" which the guys all have together. And, just like that, our "saving money" mode and my "recycling" mode clicked into this phenomenon where I am so excited to save cans. I've been saving the Rock.star cans from work (gosh, my poor co-workers, they really put up with a lot from me. I love all of you.) and today when I went to get my oil changed and they offered me a complimentary beverage I literally got giddy at the idea that I could add my diet coke can to the collection. So. Crazy. Please hold the judgement. Also, if you have any unclaimed cans you'd like to get off your hands... uh... call me. ;)

Also, my head swim coach teases me mercilessly about my need to cross off events on our heat sheet as we go through the meet. What he doesn't know is that crossing things off is pretty much my biggest OCD strain. I cross my days on my calendar, and my grocery lists, and sometimes I even write things on my 'to-do' list that I've already done, just so I can cross it off. What? Don't look at me like that. It feels good. And now I know that today I already: showered, got my oil changed, and brushed my teeth. Thanks, Mr. To-Do List, that's awesome! Go, me!

So, what I want to know is: Does anyone else have any random/funny things that they just HAVE to do. Any strange compulsions that I should know about so I feel like less of a freak? For instance, Ryan has to have the radio volume on an even number. He doesn't care if 12 is too soft or 14 is too loud. It can't be 13. It just can't. I would make fun of him for it but honestly, it's small potatoes compared to some of the stuff I put him through. ;)

Write new blog entry. Done and done. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment