Friday, March 16, 2012

Drumroll, please...

There's a study thats been done with kids. The premise is simple. I think the results are fascinating. It goes like this:

Put a child alone in room and in front of them, place a marshmallow. Tell the child they can either eat that one marshmallow now, or wait and instead get two marshmallows later. As an adult, it's easy to say "Yeah, sure, wait for the second marshmallow." But to a kid that sounds like a terrible idea. Kids have no concept of time and patience is apparently not an inherent trait. And for these reasons, quite a few kids will gobble up that marshmallow so fast you'd forget it was there.


And isn't this kind of how life is, too? God's saying "Duuuudddeee I've got this awesome set up goin' on for you up here in Heaven! Just be patient and good and believe me (believe IN me) and it'll all work out for the best!" Ha! Easier said than done, right?

And as soon as I thought about this marshmallow situation, the more it started to make sense in tons of areas of my life. Namely, infertility (because these days EVERYTHING works it way back to infertility).

We have plenty of people telling us to not take our time with this. Adopt right now. Finance invitro. Don't pay off student loans. We've already spent two years, so I get their point.

 But we're being responsible.
We're delaying gratification.
We're waiting for our marshmallows.

Who knows how our blessings will multiply. Maybe it will be two marshmallows (haha! Two babies is what I meant there). Or maybe it will be some combination of blessings that just isn't possible right now. I don't know.

But here's what I do know:
I feel called to wait. I feel called to prepare. I feel called to trust God and know that when he says he's got another thing comin'- he means it.

And thus you have my new blog title. Sure, it may not make sense unless you read this post. But its what seems to fit, for right now, more than anything else I could come up with.

Waiting for Marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment